Subject: Re: A room for everybody
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 08:56:13 +0200

Leitz, a German company, continued producing cameras and lenses during the
Nazi years. No doubt. There was not much sympathy though with Leitz
management for the Nazi's. Several stories are circulating on this matter
(and if LUG members are interested, I'll send another message on this
subject). The position of Leitz management is understandable once one looks
at the decreasing production levels during the war years. The company almost
collapsed.

Leitz also gave Leica's to German Jews to help them financially in getting
out of the country. Many personal relations of Leica managers, specially
with friends in the USA and in the UK were cut off. This was an important
issue as Haus Friedwart in Wetzlar, where Ernst Leitz II lived, was a place
were not only business relations but also many artists of those days stayed.
After the war, the denazification process at Leitz was rapid

All in all, I don't think that the fact that the Neurenberg crowd
photographed with Leica's meant that the Leitz Wetzlar people were close to
these sicko's.

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.
INTERNET PROVIDER: GROUPE VTX