Subject: Zeiss Quality on the LUG?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 22:43:32 -0500

At 08:34 PM 11/22/96 -0500, Charles E. Love, Jr. wrote:

>Well, it may be some ancient Zeiss design, but it sure isn't Zeiss quality.
>Is a FED a Leica camera?

Boy, Charlie, I'm sure glad you said that!  This morning I learned that the
Zeiss concern is opening the Jena archives to a few folks, a long-awaited
event (and maybe I can then quit bugging you all for your Zeiss s/n!)

One side issue is that we will now be able to interview the few survivors
who were exported from Jena in '45 to set up the Kiev and KMZ plants and who
worked them for a decade or more.

Oh, these lenses ARE Zeiss quality, perhaps more so than some other opticks
bearing that name.

FED's are interesting in their own right, but the Jupiter lenses are a whole
different category.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!