Subject: Experience with M4-2
From: seungmin@luxmail.luxcom.com
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 96 13:13:59 PST

     Hi,

       Two days ago I bought a M4-2 (mint in box) with a winder from a
     reputable dealer.  It looked great but alas!  To my dismay, the
     shutter was completely off and frame preview did not work at all.  I
     was trying to be on the bright side while debate on M4-2 was going on,
     in vain.

       A question arose here.  I have been racking my brain to figure out
     why M4-2 is problematic if M4-2 is basically the same body as M4 as
     most of you agreed.  I can understand it might have a little less
     quality in finish and what not.  Why on earth is it functionally
     problematic.  Leitz have been making M4's very solid and one of the
     best made cameras in the world.  How could Leitz start making
     problematic M4-2's all of a sudden if not on purpose with all those
     histories of the greatest cameras.  I am not talking about a whole new
     revolutionary M4-2 but rather simplified M4-2 with self-timer removed
     from legendary M4.  I can understand what possibly happened to R4
     problems because R4 was quite different from its predecessors.  Leica
     should be Leica no matter where it is made.

       When it comes to Leica dealers, do you have any reliable dealers in
     mind?  I simply could not believe the reputable dealer ship the faulty
     M4-2 to me.  He has always been in Shutterbug.

       Thank you in advance.

     David
     seungmin@luxcom.com