Subject: Limiting the Discussion
From: "Dimitrios V. Lyridis" <dimitris@central.ntua.gr>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:07:33 +0200

It is true that when I entered the list I understood that discussion was
going to be limited to Leicas and preferably M's  (as the text went).  So I
must respect that.  Yet I can't help it if I make some thoughts.

I thoroughly enjoyed the comments I read in the past listings and the advice
I received about my Leica question (which as a matter of fact involved
comparison with a (yes) Contax).  I also admired Oddmund's comments and
fully agree.
I personally hate to look at things in a limited manner, in a strict way.
It was, thus, a welcome change to see people actually comparing Leicas to
other cameras as well.  I have benefitted from this and found it interesting
as well. Limiting one's field of action usually is due to arrogance or
complex. Everybody would agree that either way it is negative.
Imagine what (AT LEAST) this list would be doing now if Oscar Barnack at the
beginning of the century hadn't opened his mind to consider some far fetched
alternatives!

As in most cases the golden section lies in the balance one achieves.  I
guess there is nothing wrong if now and then somebody mentions another brand
for this or the other reason as long as we keep in mind this is the Leica
list (the Leica users list actually) and that should be the point of
rotation.  Up to now, I don't see anything wrong with all these discussions
apart from the fact that Leica's pride has been a little hurt (because of
the fundamentally mistaken decisions in the mini camera market).

Dimitris