Subject: good add-on rangefinders
From: Jack Campin <jack@purr.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 15:42:55 +0000

I asked this just before the Arthur Wouk Deluge demolished the list;
so I'm not surprised it didn't get an answer - I suppose most readers
just binned every message for a few days without reading it.

This was prompted by Marc Small's comment that practically nobody can
scale focus a 200mm lens, hence Visoflexes.  It occurred to me that an
add-on rangefinder ought to be lighter, but that I'd never seen one
the right size for this job; the kind you get in camera shop junk bins
are designed for relatively short lenses, and are usually too dark to
be usable anyway.  The next step up seems to be humungous ex-army things
used for aiming howitzers, with a baseline measured in feet.

Is there anything in between? - bright enough to see through, base wide
enough for a 200-400mm lens, small enough to go in your pocket?

jack@purr.demon.co.uk  -  Jack Campin, 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh EH7 4AE