Subject: Re: Light, portable camera, Rollei Prego? A Con?
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 96 01:27:32 -0800

I, for one, would sincerely hope that anyone going out to spend $300-400
on a camera, regardless of the name on the box, would compare it to other
cameras of its type and choose the one that they felt was satisfying
to them. Whether the Leica name added sufficient value, or the quality
of the identical Panasonic proved that they were smart shoppers ...
it's irrelevant. Vote with your actions and your wallet, be satisfied
with what you purchase.

Are we being conned? Is a Leica M really worth $4000? I personally doubt
it. It sure says Leica on it, it sure is a nice camera, but in terms of
functionality there are plenty of cameras selling for an eighth the
money that will produce indistinguishable results. Was my Rollei 35
Classic
Platinum worth $2000? Certainly not in any functional sense ... the 35S
which I already owned produces identical quality pictures, is almost
literally
the same camera, cost me $350. Yet I felt the Classic Platinum was worth
the
expense and am satisfied with the purchase, even if it left my bank
account
dead and smoking.

These things are not so cut and dry as it would seem. Satisfaction is
a very malleable concept.

Godfrey