Subject: Re: Why A Leica M
From: "Stefan Kahlert" <uzs13b@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 16:37:24 +0000

> Did you use a shade on the MB. Also, when I purchased my ML, since I didn't

When I got aware of the flare-problem I immediately ordered a shade
but it didn't help much (light sources in the frame still flare into
the rest of the picture).

> plan on using programmed mode, I looked at the MB which had been
> discontinued, but new ones were available. When I talked to Minox, I was
> told that the lens in the MB was an older design than the then current ML,
> though there was no nomenclature difference. A couple of years ago, while

This is what I hoped to here because I really like this small, handy,
full-control-in-users-hands, can-carry-always-with-you,
immediate-release camera.

Sad for me but the conclusion is: Try to get a new or at least not to
old sample. My MB is from 1988 and that seems to be the time befor
there were the improvements (it was just the time when Minox got into
financial trouble and Minoxes were quite cheap then, 300DM for a new MB).

> My experiences with the ML are just the opposite of yours with the MB. I
> will put mine (and have) up against all but maybe Leica and German Zeiss.

Mine is close but not right at the same optical quality as my SLR's
and they are not from Z. or L. I can crosscheck this on many rolls I
shot over the last years as I used and still use the MB a lot.

> One additional thing I like about the Minox is the manual ISO setting. When
> I use the camera in AE, I can adjust the ISO, and have a Manual camera.
>
> I think of all of my current cameras, the only one I'd replace with exactly
> the same model if needed would be the ML.

Knowing that, I would like to replace my older MB with a newer ML.

best wishes
- --
Stefan Kahlert
Wissenschaftliche Abteilung der
Medizinischen Poliklinik der Universitaet Bonn
Tel.+49-228-287-2233, Fax. -2266
uzs13b@uni-bonn.de