Subject: Re: M4-2
From: kmcmanus@usnews.com (W. Keith McManus)
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:47:15 -0500

>>> I had two M4-2, by far the two worst Leicas I ever owned.
>>> I have used M Leica cameras since 1958 and will echo the statement M4-2
>>are poorest version of my favorite camera.
>
>        Well, I can't claim to have been using Leica's since 1958 (I can't
>claim to have been using anything since 1958, for that matter) but I have
>owned a couple of M4-2s and one is still giving me good service after years
>of use under truely wretched conditions. Whilst it may be true that the
>black finish is of a lesser caliber that that of other models (mine
>certainly shows some wear) and the leatherette *may* be different, I
>beleive the M4-2s to be fine Leicas and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them
>to a user. If you can live without the framelines for the 28mm and 75mm
>lenses and don't particularly care if the collectors aim their noses
>skywards on sighting the "canadian" Leica then you should be able to profit
>from the lower prices on these gems and get yourself a camera body that'll
>give you years of picture making and save a few pennies for some glass.
>        Of course, if your reasons for owning a Leica are to impress the
>gang at the annual camera club butt sniffing event then you'd do well to
>save the money and pounce on one of those diamante encrusted Liberace
>specials. (I wonder if it comes with the implant.)
>J.Redfern
>(Self appointed director of the M4-2 anti discrimination bureau)
>
>PS: another advantage of the M4-2 is that you can attach the God awful
>winder to it.

Well, I don't use winder and I don't need to impress anyone by the camera I
use. I don't belong to a camera club, never did. Bought my first Leica in
1965, black M-2, still have it, also have and use two black M-3s, two black
M-4s.

The two M4-2s that I owned had constant rangefinder problems. They rarely
were accurate. After several attemps to have them fixed I gave up and sold
them. As I said compared to the other Leicas I have used they were the
worst. End of my story about the model M-42

W. Keith McManus - Photo Editor - New Media
U.S. News & World Report
Washington, DC

Documentary Video & Photography

kmcmanus@usnews.com