Subject: Re: R4 question
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 00:00:45 -0500 (EST)

At 04:43 PM 11/16/96 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all!
>
>My local dealer has a Leica R4 in near mint condition on sale. He wants
>US $630 for it. Is this a fair price? How reliable is the Leica R4?
>
>Thanks, Bert

R4's had many problems with the electronics.  I had 3 myself (the first one
was repaired 5 times), and Leica never was able to give me one that worked
for longer than a few months.  They finally traded the last one for an R4SP,
which was fine.  Gossip has it that the very last R4's, identifiable by a
red dot with raised lettering rather than a flat disc, were OK.  I'd look
for an R4SP, though (not an R4S, which had the same problems).  Also, that
price would be a bit high in the US, I think--R4's sell for much less than
the later R cameras, mostly because of reliability problems.
Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU