Subject: Re: What would an M7 have?
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 96 08:30:38 -0800

>Oddmund Garvik
>I need a small, simple, and discrete in-pocket camera, which I can
>always bring with me. I am a little fed up with *shoulder cameras* and
>photobags. Even the M is too heavy for everyday use. I want a
>point-and-shoot that gives me creative control as well as the ability to
>take a brainless 1 second picture.  I want to be an "invisible"
>photographer, able to take a picture unnoticed.  This is the original
>Leica/Barnack concept as far as I can see. In my opinion a new
>*Minilux-x* is the best way to update this concept.

>Marc James Small:
>>Hmm.  I suggest you take a gander at a used Rollei 35.  Save
>>for the scale focusing, it's everything you're asking for,
>>costs less than the Minilux, and has a superb lens.  And it's
>>the smallest package which can be had around a spool of 35mm
>>film -- it's smaller than anything else on the market.

I completely agree with Marc. But you don't need to buy a used
Rollei 35, you can still obtain a new Rollei 35 Classic. A used
Rollei 35S will just cost you a lot less as the Classic is kinda
expensive. The Classic is out of production but new ones are still
obtainable. It's my favorite camera.

The Minox 35s are the only other 35mm cameras in this size class.
They have similar capabilities to the Rolleis. Scale focus but
with an electronic shutter and either aperture priority or program
exposure mode. The Minox 35ML used, or the Minox 35GT-E and 35GT-X
new, are excellent cameras. They are not built as ruggedly as the
Rollei 35s but are still very solid cameras and a little lighter
than the Rollei.

ObLeica: I sold my M system as my Rollei 35 Classic suits my
needs better, but the Leica Minizoom which I kept takes a picture
as sharp as the M and Rollei does, and adds the flexibility of a
35-70mm lens as well. Built in flash, simple exposure mode selections,
and autofocus that works very accurately in a lightweight camera,
it generally gives me better pictures than my Nikon 35Ti did, or
than the Minilux I borrowed did. It's biggest drawback for
"available darkness" photography is that the f/4-7.3 lens is
a mite slow so you have use high speed film. The way the exposure
control of the flash works, it's very easy to turn the flash off
without having to look at anything when you first power the camera
on ... just count presses of the mode button. The viewfinder is a
little chintzy compared to the Rollei or the Minox.

And it's pretty inexpensive.

Godfrey