Subject: R3/R4
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@aimnet.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:40:29 -0800

At 02:11 PM 1996/11/14 PST, you wrote

>       When it comes to R Leica, some dealers said that R4 and R3 are so
>     problematic while R4S, R4S-P and later models are ok.  They also said
>     R4's made in Germany with higher serial number are much better.

I've had several R3's, R4's, and R4S-p's and one R6. I use my cameras
professionally so they get a workout. I've never had to have any of them
repaired due to mechanical or electrical faults. I kept one R4S-p which
tests (at the Leica testing facility) dead-on on all shutter speeds. 0%
error! All of the others gave way to R7's because I need mirror lock-up and
from time to time, some form of automation. My comment on the R3/R4
question is that in my own experience, both the R3 & R4 had too much mirror
vibration at shutter speed 1/15th and slower. The R4S-p's proved much
better, although still iffy with very long lenses. The R6 & and R7's have
MLU so for me, the problem is solved.

Jim