Subject: Re: Are we getting our money's worth?
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:25:27 +0200

The key achievement of Leica management is that they are still managing
Leica. Remember Voigtl=E4nder management? Zeiss Ikon management? Exacta
management?

One of the more recent problems at Leica has been that there was not enough
money for product development. A vicious circle: no new products, no new
sales, no new profits, no new developments, no new products, etc. And as the
sales of certain hardware (binoculars are a very good exemple) is driven to
a large extent by new products, they suffered a lot.

Bank debt on Leica's balancesheet has been going up substantially during the
three years before going public. This could indicate that they might have
even  been investing too much in new equipment. One has to hope that the
recent inflow of new money (approximately DM 100 mio after paying off the
banks) will enable Leica to get out of above vicious circle.=20

We'll have to give them some time now and stick with them. The Leica stand
on the Photokina 1998 should be most interesting!

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
- ---

>> At 09:41 AM 11/13/96 -0500, Charles E. Love, Jr., wrote:
>>=20
>> My problem is that that money ought to go
>> >to rejuvenate the M series, as you say--and it doesn't seem to. =
 Wonderful
>> >as it is, the M6 is a bit of a joke to some non-Leica users, because it=
 is
>> >essentially identical to a design from the '60s,
>>=20
>
>I agree 1000%.   Even though the M6 is a great camera and part of a
>legendary system, it could easily be a LOT better than it is. =20
>Certainly M customers deserve a lot more than they are receiving for the
>money.   There are so many things that should be added to  bring it up
>to date, the mind boggles.
>
>Yet, Leitz does relatively nothing with the M line other than bringing
>out an endless supply of meaningless bullshit M6 commemoratives and most
>daring of all, magically changes black lenses to chrome.  Big Deal. =20
>The recent exceptions are a $3,000 35mm lens and a NEW 24mm lens
>something like 25 years after Nikon first introduced theirs.   sorry,
>but I am not impressed. =20
>
>There are basically two things wrong with this picture:
>
>1) Leitz management who have made a career of milking the most out of a
>very old horse with the absolute minimum of new investment money
>
>2) Loyal Leica fanatics who lull themselves into being satisfied with a
>minimum of new products and modern updates without crucifying Leitz
>management.
>
>If Leica continues its present M system marketing and design trends, I
>believe it is only a matter of time until the present company is
>bankrupt.   I can only hope that it is bought out  by  Nikon or Canon so
>that the new Leitz will finally turn out some modern rangefinder
>cameras.  =20
>
>Notice that these comments are restricted to the M system.  Fine optics
>though they are, the R system simply hasn't made a big enough impact in
>the marketplace to take it seriously.  It is the M camera which keeps
>Leitz going.  Leitz has proved many times they can design SLR lenses but
>not SLR bodies.  I will be surprised if the R8 turns out to be a break
>in their consistency.
>=20
>With Leica's history, price and reputation, Leica lovers have a right to
>expect the very best in up to date design and quality construction.  I
>for one, certainly don't think we are getting it.
>
>On the other hand, current M products would be earth shattering if only
>the calendar said 1957.
>
>Stephen Gandy

INTERNET PROVIDER: GROUPE VTX
                   CH-1009 PULLY