Subject: Focotar 1 enlarger
From: William Lawlor <wvl@crl.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 20:43:50 -0800 (PST)

Recently I obtained a Focotar 1, (no a,b, or c designation) together with
Leitz VAROB 3.5 lens and an original 75 watt bulb with Leitz logo. It
appears to be very old. I do not have the original column and baseboard
but I am using it with an alternate column and baseboard. I have several
questions about the enlarger for the list.

1. The lens appears to have a built-in extension tube, diaphram
calibration in numbers from 1 to 10, and a "soft" quality to prints. Can
anyone tell me about this lens? The serial number on the retaining ring
for the front element is 511568.

2. There are what appear to be adjustments possible to the autofocus
mechanism and cam. How do I touch up these adjustments? Can the autofocus
be set to operate at a range of larger magnification than the standard 2X
to 10X?

3. The original negative holder is missing. How can I obtain one?

4. My main interest in this enlarger is for regular use in my darkroom.
If this is a collector's piece what is an estimate of it's value and does
anyone have an interest it trading for a more recent Leitz enlarger?

Thank you very much for any assistance this post might generate.

Bill Lawlor