Subject: Re: Noctilux f1
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 07:50:13 -0800

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> Dear LUG,
>
> I am hoping to ignite a little passionate discussion on the Noctilux f1
> lens for the M series Leica.
snip

The weight is a bit overwhelming, at least for me to carry as a
"everywhere" lens.

But then I don't even like the weight of the Summilux.  Personally for
50/1.4 I use the excellent, much lighter, and much cheaper, 50/1.4 Black
Canon with a bayonet adapter.  The lens often sells in beautiful
condition for about $250-300.

If you do buy the Noctilux, I urge you to save the bucks and buy used.
Mint examples usually sell in the $1500-1700 range, less if you find a
seller who needs a quick sale. The 1.2 version is collectible and higher
priced if in nice shape.

Of course the optical performance is great.   I have not compared it to
the 50/1 Eos Lens.  That would be interesting.

Stephen Gandy