Subject: Re: leica on tv and record covers
From: "Bruce MacKnight" <brucem@canadianwebmaster.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 08:33:34 +0000

> Hi all, next to buying & using my Leicas, i enjoy seeing them used IN
> pictures or movies. The following will list a few I have found, can any
> members of LUG add to my list?

In the movie of Ken Follett's "Eye of the Needle", set in 1944, the
Nazi spy 'The Needle' (Donald Sutherland) has been sent to photograph
General Patton's army in East Anglia in England (which turns out to
be a decoy, and fake).  He pulls out of his jacket a (mint) chrome
Leica , with a collapsible lens.  As he walks among the fake
plywood-and-canvas airplanes, he takes several pictures.  Each photo
is signalled by the sound of the shutter, which has been CLEARLY
recorded, although it must be from the point of view of The Needle,
himself, to be that loud.  As he takes one of the photographs, there
is a closeup of Sutherland with the camera at his eye.  The
vintage-Leica experts should easily be able to discern the model.

The rest of the movie involves The Needle's efforts to get the film
out of England.  I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it!

Recommended!

Bruce MacKnight
Cochrane, AB
CANADA