Subject: Re: Leica M6 versus Medium Format
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 09:27:14 GMT

> The Mamyia7 is a very fine camera. In some ways, it is a "big" Leica.
> However, it suffers from obvious physical limitations. Its normal lens
> is
> the 80mm lens with a 4.0 aperture. Therefore, it has all of the
> depth-of-field and speed limitations of a Leica lens of similar focal
> length. The Mamyia is also bigger and uses more expensive film.
>
> Yes, the Mamyia 7 has a place in this world, but it is not a Leica.
> Please
> read some of the pre-war Leica manuals. What has changed. Probably not
> much,
> except that we have more sensitive materials, which also exhibit
> superior
> definition and contrast.

Er...yes...but the question to which I was commenting was about downsizing from a Pentax 67 to a
Leica M6 *but wanting to retain 6x7 quality*, in which case whether the Mamiya "is not a Leica" is
not the point, since it is unquestionably the best answer to the original poster's dilemma.

David Morton                 | "The reason that Korean companies are
Technical Director           | investing here is that wages in large
Speed Publications Ltd.      | parts of the UK have fallen well below
dmorton@journalist.co.uk     | Korea. Following years of economic
104707.2434@compuserve.com   | failure, we can also boast a cowed and
Kilburn, London, England.    | pliant workforce." (Simon Hoggart)