Subject: Re: TOC for LUG digest -- configurations
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 06:09:55 -0700 (MST)

<snip>

>The MFD is a moderated list rather than a fully automated one: that's the
choice of the founder and administrator and determines how the software is
configured.
>I don't know whether majordomo software can be configured to automate the
>TOC, but Brian Reid would certainly know. I don't personally find it all
>that useful a function, but it does give a quick scan to see how many
>people responded to a thread.

I don't know the capabilities of Majordomo vs. listserv either, but
Majordomo, I believe, is freeware, so may be less than fully featured.

I find no particular problem with scanning through the subject lines with
the regular list. It goes rapidly and the convenience in replying, for me,
more than makes up for the extra mouse button work.

Only advantage I see for the digest, with or w/o a TOC, is for the lurker,
who seldom, if ever, makes replies. For him, the digest is a bit faster to
get through.
- --
Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                          Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
                          Leica Historical Society Of America
                          INTERNET:  beamon@primenet.com