Subject: Re: Table of contents for Digest
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 10:31:49 -0400 (EDT)

At 06:48 AM 10/23/96 -0700, you wrote:

>To whomever maintains this list: couldn't you find a way for us to have such
>a TOC in our digest as well? It would be much appreciated. (Sorry for the
>noise to all others, but I do not have the e-address of he/she who maintains
>this list.)

For those who like the digest format, this is a great idea--I've appreciated
it in the Medium Format Digest.  But it means a great deal of work for the
person who maintains the list.  The MFD person actually does some cleaning
up of the posts (e.g., getting rid of the garbage at the top) and has the
power to end a thread (exercised once that I can remember in a year or so).
On MFD, we all know who that person is, because his presence is definitely
felt, and a lot of time is required of him.

Note also that MFD stops if the maintainer goes on vacation or
something--there are no individual e-mail messages.  This creates a
different kind of list--there are very few short wisecracks there, and more
long articles, and there's often a delay of a week or two before your post
gets sent  in the Digest.

Charlie
Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place