Subject: Re: Which 90 Summicron Best?
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:53:53 -0400 (EDT)

This is a case, IMHO, of the old Leicaphiles at it again. In general, I
would be suspicious of any assertion that a Leica lens that first went on
sale in 1958 is better than a much younger design.  In this particular case,
I have seen two sets of tests (some years ago) which compared the old, very
large Summicron 90 and its smaller successor.  Both found the new lens much
superior.  (One was in Modern Photography, I remember).  This backs up my
own experience--I owned two of the big ones.   The large one also has the
disadvantage of blocking more of the viewfinder than the small one (for some
real fun, try using one of these on a screwmount camera!)

At 08:20 PM 10/16/96 -0700, you wrote:
>In talking to Don Chatterton, he told me that he believes the older,
>larger version
>of the 90 Summicron to be sharper, and that the rare pre-set version is
>the sharpest.
>
>Anyone agree/disagree????

Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place