Subject: Re: 35mm Asph./ASPHERICAL
From: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 96 02:26 BST-1

> Then, to come to the point: Testing high end equipment leaves the
> range of measurable data. Wer'e talking about top quality equipment
> (and it wouldn't be top quality/high end/call it as you like if you
> could
>  _measure_ a flaw!).

No, sorry, disagree there.

In the case of the Leitz 35mm format lenses we're talking about high end
*consumer* (well, OK, and professional) grade lenses, which use designs
susceptible to mass production (albeit on a small scale).

These are a *VERY* long way down the scale from the optical designs which
are used in 'money is no object' applications like surveillance satellite
& aircraft optics, and the optical systems used in some military
applications.

However few people without security clearance ever get to hear about the
state of the art.

dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk      |  "The loss of an old man
david@cassandra.compulink.co.uk  |  is like the destruction
Kilburn, London, England.        |  of a library"