Subject: Re: Now a Leica User
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 20:19:56 -0400

It's no pig. Your 52/53 IIIf is a VERY fine performer. Assuming your Elmar
is post-war (coated) it is a very fine performer also. Unless your camera
is non-fuctional, the price you paid probably a little on the low side. (If
your Elmar is a red scale you got a bargain!)

The Red dial IIIf is not rare, but it is very well built and rugged. The
version with self-timer was the next to last screw mount. (The very fine
IIIg was the last) I use mine quite a bit. To use with electronic flash,
set the synch dial (surrounding the shutter speed dial) to 20 and set the
shutter at 1/50. (or 0 and 1/25)

The Leica Collector's Guide (Laney) has nearly all the Leica accessories
and all the lenes for all, including screw mount Leicas. For less money,
hunt up an old 50s Leica manual.

Welcome to the world of Leica Screw Mounts! I have four of them and at
least one goes everywhere with me.

kw

- ----
LHSA, MEA, LAW                         preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>