Subject: Re: enlargers (was: Favorite Tips/Techniques)
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 96 08:13:07 -0800

>Ah, but there's more. The mixing chamber on the V35 gives it a fall-off of
>only 1/10 stop from center to edge, and according to reports I've read,
>that's about the best there is. Plus autofocus once calibrated makes the
>darkroom experience much more pleasurable. No more futzing with raise the
>head, refocus, lower the head, refocus, raise less, focus, lower less,
>focus. That's a major problem if you ask me, and using the Beseler 23C at
>work is a major pain after using the V35.

Hmm. I have measured densities on test prints of 18% gray test negs
several
times to calibrate my equipment ... seems to me the print density
gradient
was more dependent upon which lens I was using than which enlarger it was
fitted to. I have a cold light head for the Beseler (as well as the
condenser
and dichroic diffusion heads) and you get different values on those as
well.

While autofocus is a nice convenience, it presupposes that you are going
to be using one lens all the time since it requires calibration. I used to
switch between my lenses all the time ... each of them gives a different
quality to the print ... which would make calibration a tedious job.

Yes, the Beseler I always found a bit clumsy in operation, but it is
versatile
and handles all formats up to 6x9cm. I bought the Durst because it was
faster and easier to work with when I was doing exclusively 35mm. Also
takes
up far less room in the darkroom.

I guess this is all somewhat academic as I have not used either one in
over a decade. :(

Godfrey