Subject: Re: 50mm focal length
From: Daniel Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 13:21:48 -0400

[snip
>I was interested in Dan's comments on the 75mm Summilux-M.
>This lens doesn't seem to get much mention.  I wonder if it
>is very widely used by LUG members?
>
>Incidentally, of the current production M-lenses, have you noticed
>how the longer-larger aperture lenses remain Canadian-made?
>i.e. as far as I can tell, the following lenses continue to be made
>under contract in Midland by Hughes Elcan:
>
> 50mm 1.0 Noctilux-M
> 75mm 1.4 Summilux-M
> 90mm 2.0 Summicron-M
> 135mm 2.8 Elmarit-M
[snip]

I can recall reading in a past issue of Leica Photographie about why Leica
continued to have these specialty lens made in Canada.  One reason was that
the people in the Midland plant had built up many years of experience that
would be difficult to reproduce in Germany.  Also in terms of wages and
exchange rates it is cheaper to make them in Canada.

Dan Cardish  <dcardish@spherenet.com>
                        <http://www.spherenet.com/dcardish/photo.htm>