Subject: 50mm focal length
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 08:21:52 -0600

Friends,

I would like to find out how many of you prefer the 50mm focal length to
other focal lengths.

If you prefer other focal lengths on the M camera, I would like to know why.

My reasons for using the 50mm length have nothing to do with the teachings
of Cartier Bresson. I simply like this length.

The popular wisdom is that 90mm lenses make good portrait lenses. I find
that the 50mm length can also be very useful in this role.

I just don't why one would want to use a 135mm lens on the M camera. In the
past, I had a viewfinder for this focal length, but found that it did not
work very well. In particular, there was a discrepancy between its frame and
the rangefinder 135mm frame. I verified this with the camera on a tripod.

The 135mm Elmarit has bug eyes which work particularly well with my
well-used M5. However, this lens is a monster, which scares my dog Fluffy
and other living things.

Best,

Chris