Subject: Which camera to buy?
From: Donny Levan <levandon@cps.acast.nova.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 21:21:41 -0400

As a non-Leica user (but seriously considering buying one) I have a few
respectful questions for this group:

I am in the process of recreating the system that I shoot with.
Previously I used an Nikon F4. That was a great camera for what I was
doing then (working in newspaper), but now I find it heavy. Much of the
photography I do now is when I travel (either weekend road trips or
longer trips) and usually leave the Nikon behind.

Recently I have been using a Minulta Autocord, a twin lens reflex 2.4,
on a tripod. I have enjoyed the change of format, and the slower speed
at which I am required to work. I take more time to compose and my
pictures are much stronger. This camera is falling apart on me, however.
This summer I was in Israel and by the end I had gaffer tape holding the
camera together.
I have sold most of my other equipment, lights and such, and am ready to
make some equipment purchases. I want to end up with one 35mm, and one
2.4 body.

I enjoy doing a upclose and personal style of photography where I am
spending time with my subjects and documenting their experiences. I am
currently working with hospice as a counselor, and see a story coming in
the future. I am begining to enjoy doing outdoor senic photography as
well, though here in FLAT Florida I don't feel totally inspired.

Having quit my career in newspapers I have am now shooting just for me.
I am in the process (for the first time) of enlarging a few frames for
my wall. I want to maximize my chances of creating  strong images, and I
realize that quality and sharpness of the lenses have a serious impact.

I think the Leica M6 is the 35 camera I am going to buy, but it is
rather expensive. The other options as I see it are the MP4 or the M2. I
like to use cameras that do not rely on battery power, and I use a hand
meter so having a meter is not essential. What do you think? Also I want
to buy a Leica, but won't do so with out actually touching one. In South
Florida the options for this are limited. Any suggestions? I am going to
buy used. And am interested in the LUG swap.

 I have questions about MF as well, but I will  post those on the MF
digest to keep on topic.

Donny Levan