Subject: Re: Leica CLs & other compact rangefinders
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 16:54:27 -0400

I agree that for anybody to reinvent the CL as it was will not happen, at
least in my lifetime. Even if there were a market, the costs to develop a
new mechanical, all manual camera would be uneconomical. It would be less
costly to take the M6 and rework it.

The CLE, may be a different matter, though. The camera from what has been
described, is really not technologically obsolete and if Minolta has
retained the dies, etc., possibly could be updated and re-released. The
basic design seemed to be well liked, except for the lack of information
when in manual mode. This could be corrected.

Let's brainstorm the possibilities of a new CLE. The concept of the G-1
viewfinder which adjusts to the lens rather than the use of brightlines.
Possibly, there could be a series of zoom lenses for the CLE-2, as was for
awhile rumored for the G series. The viewfinder could be set for viewing say
21mm to 90mm.  If possible, I would like the option of standard AA or AAA
cells as opposed to the specials now in vogue. This could be accomplished in
the accessory grip such as was available for the CLE.

Thoughts anyone?

Considering the upper price range of the better p&s, there could be a market
for such a bridge camera.

At 03:28  10/10/96 -0700, you wrote:

>     Anyway, the conjecture about the viability of a MF Rangefinder like
>     the CL coming out again is just wishful thinking.  I remember back in
>     the early eighties reading reports in PDNews, Modern and Popular
>     Photography and the British Journal of Photography about Bronica
>     coming out with a compact rangefinder 35 with aperture priority
>     automation and three lenses (28, 45, 85mm if memory serves me
>     correctly).  Bronica discontinued this project because the niche was
>     filled.  Saturated by new and used Leica Ms and CLs and CLEs.  I don't
>     think that anyone else is really interested in doing another MF
>     rangefinder, especially if it would have limited compatibility with a
>     full system, like the original CL concept.

>     Thanks for your attention.
>
>     Pablo
>     pmendoza@ucsd.edu

Brian Levy, J.D.