Subject: Re: Shutterbug
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:04:05 -0700

At 05:22 PM 10/9/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Eric said Bob Shell doesn't really like every camera that comes along, but
>rather wouldn't do a review of a bad product to avoid hurting it.  Still,
>Bob seems to me to be fairly undiscriminating--he LOVES Russian stuff, and
>even at its best those Kievs are surely (relative to what else is available
>in medium format) bad products.  BTW, while we're commenting on reviews,
>Popular Photography's Keppler certainly uses his column to boost whatever's
>new out there--if the newest miscellaneous zoom has a max aperture of f 9.7,
>that's OK, he'll say, available light photography is out of fashion anyway!

Well, we all love some things that are quirky, don't we? I didn't say he
had good taste, or knows what he's talking about (shoot, he even read the
book "The Physics of Start Trek" and came away thinking it will one day be
possible to travel faster than the speed of light, even though the book
pretty much proves the opposite! AND, he was a consultant for that Alien
Autopsy Movie that's run on Fox several times and thinks it's true!).

It's just that Domke Bags are about the best thing out there for
photojournalists (read: me! and most of my friends) yet he dislikes them so
much he refuses to review them. He also claims to have refused to review
lenses and cameras. I took him at his word. He's not a liar, I don't think.
And he's actually a rather nice guy. Which makes me feel guilty even saying
these things (how 'bout that, a sensitive journalist!).   :-)

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR