To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Shutterbug
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:13:23 -0400

Charlie

Optically, the Ukrainian cameras would, in my experience, rank immediately
behind Rollei & Hassie in quality.  Superb lenses.  Certainly, in overall
quality, the Kiev MF cameras would rank substantially ahead of Seagull,
Pearl River, Lubitel, and the like, as well.

In terms of quality, sure, their poor QA puts them in the middle with Mamiya
and Bronica and the other also-rans.  It's the low price and superlative
lenses which really pull the Kiev MF cameras ahead of the others in the
middle, though.

My experience is limited, however:  I have owned and shot extensively only
with a slew of Rollei TLR's, Hassie, a Super Ikonta, Ikoflex, Baby Bessa,
and a Mamiya RB67.  I have handled and used briefly most of the other major
brands, but never enough to make a really deep impression, just a feeling
that I'd not be happy with them as primary cameras.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!