To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 and Summicron 50, production differences
From: Stephen Kobrin <kobrins@wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:02:29 -0400 (EDT)

At 02:52 PM 10/8/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Marc,
>
>You are absolutely right about the rangefinder yellowing, coming from
>deterioration of the cement.  The M-3 has a beamsplitter that is a split cube
>and cemented to the front is a minus lens and on the side there is another
plus
>lens cemented there.  Since these early rangefinders were cemented with
>balsam, they have a tendency (with age) to crystalize,giving a yellowish hue.
>Since there are three different cemented surfaces this can really affect
the light
>transmission.

Is this problem repairable at a reasonable cost, or does it entail replacing
the entire rangefinder unit?  I have an early M3 that is in great shape and
a pleasure to use with the exception of a "yellowed" and mottled rangefinder
image with a resulting loss of contrast.  It would be nice to have it
repaired, if it could be done without mortgaging my house.

Regarding an earlier thread, I do not find a DS a problem although once in a
great while I do not completely cock the shutter.  As far as the reliability
of early M3s (those with serial numbers well under one million) all I can
say is that mine is about 40 years old and with the exception of the
rangefinder, it works beautifully and is silky smooth.  Would that I had
held up as well over the last 40 years.

Steve

Stephen J. Kobrin                  Tel.  (215) 898-7732
212 Lauder Fischer Hall            Fax.  (215) 898-2067
The University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104--6330