To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: M5 Revisited
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 05:58:49 -0600

Friends,

The most recent Viewfined, a quarterly publication of the Leica Historical
Society, contains an interesting piece on the M5.

The M5 has always been controversial. Personally, I like mine very much. I
am not a professional and "missing shots" is not a problem. However, I do
like many features of the M5, including the speed-selection dial, which
protrudes slightly in front.

I agree that the M5 was a trial baloon. However, I have come to appreciate
many of the features. I am sure that a lot of thought went into this camera.
In a way, it may be the culmination of the Leitz efforts, just like the SL2.

I like the fact that the M5 has a self timer. The M6 does not.  May be the
M7, if it ever comes, will have the self timer as well as other features,
such as aperture-priority automation. I have heard rumors of an M7. However,
I do not believe them entirely.

My camera is rather well used and has been worked over to replace the parts
which caused problems in the early M5s.

I know that the M5 is much bigger and heavier than the other Ms. However,
this is not a problem, because I have big hands. Also, this makes it easier
to hold.

Best regards,

Chris