To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 35mm Asph.
From: "Hubert Nowotny" <hubertn@mail.ctr.co.at>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 10:31:00 +0100
Comments: Authenticated sender is <hubertn@mail.ctr.co.at>

George,

The moulding process is far cheaper than grinding aspherical faces,
one face is cheaper to produce than two. There was no reason at all
 for any change of design seen from the point of optical quality (sigh).

(The lines above tell a personal sight only of highly complex facts.
Never would any manufacturer issue an official statement like this. It's
only fiction out of my small personal brain ...)

I'm happy to have an old ASPHERICAL - and I wouldn't trade it for
anything else. I didn't do any A-B comparison but a close friend of
mine did and told me that there was definitely no improvement seen
from the point of optical quality. The old one is the superior lens
(better colors, more intermediate colors, ...).

But the moulding process is far cheaper seen from the point of the
manufacturer, however. (sigh again). Also there were only some 2000
pieces made of the old design, the lens was practically not available
(you needed "to know somebody at leica"). The new model can be bought
by far more simply and surely is a good lens, superior to the other
35 mm M lenses. Therefore (as the old model practicaly isn't
available) there is not much use in building up a myth about it.

But: If you can get hold of such a beast - go for it!

Have a nice day all of you
and please don't tell me too often that the new design is far better
than the old one (it'ssimply not true).
Hubert

> From:          George Huczek <ghuczek@gdipa.Unibase.COM>
> Subject:       35mm Asph.
> To:            leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Date:          Sun, 6 Oct 1996 12:23:51 -0600 (CST)

> About a week ago someone posted a message wondering if anyone
> knew if there was any difference between the first and current
> versions of the 35mm aspheric lens.
>    There has been no reply to this. Further to this though, does
>    anyone know why the lens design was changed from two aspheric
>    surfaces to one?
>
> --
> George Huczek

* Von/From: HUBERT NOWOTNY, CTR Hatzenberger & Nowotny OEG
* A-1040 Wien/Vienna, Kettenbrueckengasse 16 (Austria, Europe ...)
* Tel ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 0, Fax ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 24
* hubertn@ctr.co.at, http://www.ctr.co.at/ctr/