To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 emotive quality
From: Magnus.Oestvall@epk.ericsson.se (Magnus Ostvall)
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 13:07:12 +0200

> From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
>
> First, I'll add a bit to the serious discussion.  The original question had
> to do with the emotive quality one of us found in the photographs he took of
> his children with an M as opposed to his SLR work.  The point that seems to
> have attracted attention is that the M permits us to work close to our
> subjects unobtrusively.  This is hardly controversial--look at the work of
> Selgado, Mary Ellen Mark, Winograd, Bill Allard, Bruce Davidson, and other
> greats identified with the M.  They don't jump down people's throats, they
> develop relationships with them and then work among them (with the exception
> of Winograd, who did grab shots with 35s and 28s on the street).  The
> question was not whether this is the *only* way to take people pictures, but
> what *differentiates* M's and their pictures from other cameras.

Didn't Sebastian Salgado use a R Leica? That's what I heard -
on the other hand, perhaps he's also using M's :-)

Oh, about age: I'm 23, trying to get cash for a Leica,
meantime I'm using my fine Canon FD system.

    Magnus.Oestvall@epk.ericsson.se
~~~~~~~~~ Frameworks - EPK/TF ~~~~~~~~~
Ericsson Software Technology AB, Sweden