To: "Leica Users Group" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Hmm Great new question - AGE
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 96 20:51:10 -0700

>New question for the group.
>
>Just how old are we? It is understandable that possibly the average age of a
>Leica user or collector is somewhat older than say the Nikon, etc. user for
>it takes a higher income or greater assets to acquire a $2,000.00 lens than
>a $200.00 lens.
>
>I don't think of myself as old, stodgy, well heeled or grouchy.

I've been doing photography since I was 10 and that means 32 years now.
I dunno about anyone else: I never thought of myself as being particularly
rich (although nowadays I think I'm reasonably comfortable, thank you ;)
but I've always managed to have a Nikon, Leica, Rolleiflex or sommat
available to do photography with, even when rice and beans were an
expensive dinner. In my current dotage, I also ride a nice Italian
sporty motorcycle or three, have an Alfa Spider to restore and an
Toyoti MR2 to drive, and generally seem to keep my mind firmly
entrenched in being between 12 and 28 most of the time. At least that's
what my wimmenfriends tell me.

Am I the prototypical Leica owner? Dunno, duntcare. When I was in High
School, I could take the subway down to Manhatten and pick up a IIf
or IIIc with a lens for $65 usually ... boy, that's changed, and my
ability to afford that $65 has changed too happily.

I feel like an anachronistic old fart nowadays because I prefer cameras
that are not automatic where all my buddies are buying whizbangs that
do everything. Maybe I was really old back then and I'm getting younger
as the years go on...

Godfrey