To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Age, Coatings, and good glass
From: creadick@nando.net (Nowell & Jennifer Creadick)
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 22:57:06 -0400 (EDT)

At 4:35 PM 10/5/96, Vondauster@aol.com wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Time to add my two cents worth to a number of threads, some current, some,
>with your indulgence, a little stale.
snip
>Second, about lens recoating, and sorry for not responding sooner: I had John
>van Stelton recoat a collapsible 50mm Summicron front element for me about 4
>years ago. The results were superb, and I was able to sell the lens for a
>_great_ deal of money, as it was otherwise in mint condition. And yes, I wish
>I had been able to keep that one. Sigh.

>Lastly, and perhaps most nebulously: the quality of Leica glass. I agree with
>the emotive quality, but must hasten to add that the current-production M
>lenses I use are also the sharpest (highest resolution and contrast) lenses I
>have ever used, and their color rendition is unequalled. The 90mm Elmarit and
>50mm Elmar are also remarkably free from flare. All sentiment aside, I would
>not use this equipment if it did not perform better than its competition: I
>can't afford to. As for the reasons, I am inclined to agree with John van
>Stelton's analysis, and defer to his expertise. John is, by the way, one of
>only two people I let work on my Leicas, the other is retired.

I just wanted to publicly (on this forum) mention a similar experience I
just had With John Van Steltons work...he  just resurrected! some Leica R
lenses that had mistakenly lived in one of those supposedly airtight cases
in humid NC weather and had fungussed pretty severly to my eye.  Now they
are beautiful and thanks John.

Chapel Hill, NC

Although love may fail, courtesy should prevail.

Replies: Reply from "Glenn Wm. Thrall" <gthrall@ix.netcom.com> (Re: Age, Coatings, and good glass)