To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Emotive lenses
From: "joe b." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 12:56:03 +0100

In article <199610042059_MC1-A07-7797@compuserve.com>, "George R.
Zachar" <102413.1577@compuserve.com> writes
>Uh, what's an MTF test? And, in plain English, is
>it possible to explain how intentional lens aberrations
>can be made to selectively fuzz parts of an image and
>not others?
>
>I am genuinely curious. I am thinking of sinking a lot
>of money into a camera system, and if you can prove your
>point, my decision will lean toward seasoned Leicas.

My own (uninvited!) response to this is to suggest that trying out a
Leica outfit and looking at the results might provide more useful
evidence for system selection than any scientific explanation of why a
lens does what it does. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not
in the analysis of the recipe. Ultimately, it's what the results look
like that we have to live with after spending the money. I saw a look,
or character, in my first Leica photographs I'd never seen before with
any other equipment and I knew I wanted that look. I made a decision I
can live with. In fact I get happier about it all the time. :->
--
joe b.