To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Emotive lenses
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 20:59:49 -0700 (MST)

>MTF: Modulation Transfer Function -- "... a graphical representation of
>image quality that eliminates the need for decision making by the observer."
>Stroebel, et al., Photographic Materials & Processes, p. 405.  Please do not
>bother the group with items easily ascertainable in your Village Library.

It must be wonderful to have been born to the camera and all its technology,
Marc. Obviously, George wasn't as fortunate, and, is a "NEWBIE"! Heaven
forbid that the group be "bothered" by a newbie's questions. If you're
implying that this group is only for the well versed, that's bullshit!
George addressed his question to you because it was your pap that was
attempting to further delineate the highly questionable "Leica glow".

>I've already explained the manner in which Max Berek shaped Leitz lens
>design.  Beyond this, please consult the (now-retired) geniuses of Wetzlar.
>Gianni Rogliatti will put you in touch with them.

Explained? Only for the true believers who, in lemming like fashion,
consider the "glow" as the holy grail; to be believed on faith alone.
George, I too own Leica and love it. But, I'm here to tell you that any top
system today, in the hands of a competent photographer, can turn out images,
of like subject matter, under controlled conditions, that will defy the
experts discerning eye as to which system produced which images. The fact is
that we do not shoot in these side by side controlled situations often.
That, coupled with the fact that the Leica photographer is often an
enthusiast of the medium beyond the average. He will often have greater
skills honed by a lifetime of experience that give him "a leg up". If the
above doesn't apply, he's a collector.

>As to your selected camera system, choose what you will:  I do not know what
>a "seasoned Leica" is -- save that mine are pretty well pounded!  Perhaps
>you might be happier sinking your "lots of money" into a simpler system such
>as Canon or Nikon.

I think George and I both inferred correctly that a seasoned Leica is one of
the group of older Leitz lenses that, by your claim, have the purposeful
abberations to produce the "glow".

Leica *is* the simple system, not modern day Canon & Nikon, George. They are
hugely complex systems that require great knowledge to produce good work
except when in their programmed modes.

Leicaphiles have a reputation for being the stodgy, old, well heeled
grouches of the camera enthusiasts, George. To a large extent this is true,
BUT, it is also our strength. Leica associations are worth having, but, like
anything of value, they may not come easily. Jump in here whenever and for
whatever reason. Throw your self esteem out the window, and get ready to
learn. Rogliatti, by the way, George, writes books about Leica and its
history, but that'll all come in due time.
--
Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                          Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum