To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Emotive lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 22:25:24 -0400

At 08:58 PM 10/4/96 -0400, George Zachar wrote:
>Responding to Marc Small:
>
>Uh, what's an MTF test? And, in plain English, is
>it possible to explain how intentional lens aberrations
>can be made to selectively fuzz parts of an image and
>not others?
>
>I am genuinely curious. I am thinking of sinking a lot
>of money into a camera system, and if you can prove your
>point, my decision will lean toward seasoned Leicas.

MTF: Modulation Transfer Function -- "... a graphical representation of
image quality that eliminates the need for decision making by the observer."
Stroebel, et al., Photographic Materials & Processes, p. 405.  Please do not
bother the group with items easily ascertainable in your Village Library.

I've already explained the manner in which Max Berek shaped Leitz lens
design.  Beyond this, please consult the (now-retired) geniuses of Wetzlar.
Gianni Rogliatti will put you in touch with them.

As to your selected camera system, choose what you will:  I do not know what
a "seasoned Leica" is -- save that mine are pretty well pounded!  Perhaps
you might be happier sinking your "lots of money" into a simpler system such
as Canon or Nikon.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!