To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Minolta CLE
From: Michael Lehmann <mlehmann@augur.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 09:28:05 -0700

With all the discussion of CLs and CLEs, I'd like to relate my experience
with the CLE.  I used one for about a year with great pleasure: the camera
is small, unobtrusive, functions well (after having the electronics
repaired by Minolta USA), and focusses accurately with all my M lenses up
to f2.  The little CLE flash provided decent point 'n shoot style shapshots
at family functions, and it was the camera of choice for me to take when I
worried about my equipment being stolen.  Whereas a Leica (screwmount, M or
CL) can attract attention, a Minolta CLE is not likely to be noticed by
anyone except a camera collector.

I found that photos taken with the CLE and a Leitz 40mm Summicron C lens to
hold their own against photos taken with my M6 and early 35mm Summicron:
sharpness and color rendition were excellent, and I found 40mm to be a
useful focal length for simple snapshots.  The Rokkor 28mm, although not as
good to my eye as my Leitz 28mm (circa 1980's version-- not a great lens),
is compact and sharp, and it works on the M6 without a problem.  The 90mm
Rokkor also performed well on both the CLE and M bodies.  I did not like
the Rokkor 40mm lens; I found it sharp but contrasty, with a cooler
rendition of color than the 40mm Summicron.

The most convenient aspect of the CLE, however, is its aperture priority
autoexposure system;  in practice, the M6 works best as a shutter priority
system, since the aperture ring on the lens is easier to adjust than the
shutter dial with the camera to the eye  (yes yes, I know that the shutter
dial can be adjusted while looking through the viewfinder, but I find it
somewhat awkward).  The metering on the CLE, by the way, is quite accurate,
at least on par with the M6.  I never had exposure problems with the
system.  On the other hand, when I purchased the camera (used) there was a
problem with the exposure display in the viewfinder;  the service
department at Minolta USA was very helplful, and they fixed the problem
quickly for $100, but I doubt that the electronics of this camera are as
reliable and durable as those in current Japanese cameras.

My biggest beef with the CLE, the aspect which finally made it easy for me
to get rid of the camera, is the sound and feel of the shutter.  Using the
CLE reminded me of the one thing that really distinguishes the Leica M
camera from virtually all other 35mm focal plane shuttered cameras:  the
shutter is extremely quiet, very smooth, and has a reassuringly solid feel.
Every time the shutter clicked on the CLE, I heard the snap of metal-- the
near-silence of the M's shutter provides discretion that makes a difference
when photographing people in small rooms.

All in all the CLE is a great little camera, and if you can pick one up
cheaply, it's a great alternative to the M6.  I sold mine when the
collector value became so high that I felt uncomfortable using the camera
in the field (and selling it gave me funds to buy something else!).