To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: More newby questions
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 07:11:50 -0400

You are not being a pain. LUG is for this type of question.

The lenses you have selected are fine, although I prefer the 35 f3.5
Summaron which is about the same price as the Elmar. The Summitar and 90
Elmar are outstanding lenes and will not dissappoint you. The 35 Elmar and
to a lesser extent the Summaron are not quite as sharp but are perfectly
adequet.

The IIIg is the only screw mount with frames in the viewfinder. It has
parallax correcting bright lines for the 50 and 90. I prefer the Leica BL
finders for these lenses, but they are pricey and other alternatives are
available. The purpose of the 50 BL is two fold. The Ix type bodies need a
an external viewfinder and some folks prefer to use this even if their
camera has a viewfinder because the external BL finders have life size
images.

The 20mm Russian will work with the camera but is not optically up to Leica
standards. It is, however, MUCH less expensive than the 21mm Super-Angulon.

kw

>OK, so now I think I know which screw thread models I should be looking
>for (thanks chaps), which brings me to the matter of lenses.
>
>I'd like a 35mm, 50mm and 90mm to start with (but see below), and have
>settled on 35mm f3.5 Elmar, 50mm f2 Summitar & 90mm f4 Elmar. Is that
>reasonable? Summicrons for the 50 and 90 would be nice, but are beyond my
>price range. Is the optical performance of these lenses going to
>disappoint me? I notice that there's a Summar lens type too, and these
>seem very cheap, am I correct in assuming that the performance is dire?
>
>Any opinions would be gratefully received.
>
>And now the dumb question: I know I need an external viewfinder for the
>90mm, do I also need one for the 35mm, or are there bright lines in the
>finder for 35 & 50? A local shop has a separate finder for the 50mm lens,
>what would that be used for?
>
>Finally (and forgive me if this is a heresy), the same shop has a Russian
>screw fit 20mm f5.6, with finder. This would be really interesting to me,
>as I use my 20mm Nikkor a lot and really love the images, are these good
>performers, or junk?
>
>Sorry to be a pain, I'll shut up soon I promise.

----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
600 Dayton, Davison, MI 48423
<kwilcox@genesee.freenet.org>