To: "'leica-users'" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Leica alternatives
From: KEVIN BURKE <KBURKE@iterated.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 14:20:00 EDT
Encoding: 63 TEXT

John McLeod writes:

>My primary camera is a Leica M6 with 35 and 50mm Summicron lenses.  As I
>cannot afford another Leica system, I am considering the purchase of a
Nikon
>or Canon SLR in addition.  While I prefer the Nikon due to what I have
heard
>is slightly better overall construction quality and optical consistency
>across the line, I am concerned about the fact that Nikons and Leicas focus
>in the opposite direction.  In addition, the aperture ring is in the
reverse
>direction (Canon is like  Leica in these respects).

>Are there any Nikon/Leica users out there?  What has been your experience
in
>this regard?  It may sound like a small point, but wouldn't focus and
>aperture direction make a big difference as far as using both cameras
quickly
>and intuitively without having to think about it?

In 35 mm, I shoot Leica M and Nikon SLR.  I have had a few probems with the
reverse focus direction of the two brands.  It affects me primarily when I
make
big changes rather than small ones.  Trying to quickly go from near to far
or far
to near is where my problem arises.  Once close to the intended focus point,
slight changes seem less of a problem.  I punted most of my Nikon MF lenses
a while
ago and am now using a few fast (aperture) AF primes with AF.  This also
helps
since I'm not really focusing myself.  The AF seems to focus about as
accurately
as I can by eye with the stock screen when things start moving.  The problem
I noticed most with the aperture ring was getting used to it being next to
the SLR
body.

>In addition, I have also heard that Nikkors provide a cooler/bluer color
cast
>than Leica or Canon lenses.  I have also heard, on the other hand, that
>Nikkors are more consistent color-wise than Canon lenses which are
>manufactured in various parts of the far east with the resultant
differences
>in color and tone.

I used to try and shoot rangefinder and SLR side-by-side but don't any more.
Naturally, this was when the focus direction difference was most noticable.
 So,
I seldom have the chance to directly compare the images from the two systems
on the same film batch under the same lighting conditions.

I figure that if the AF stuff dies, I'll be looking at Contax in addition to
Nikon and
Canon.  I think the Contax turns in the same direction as Leica so I'd look
at the
system to see.

[...]

 - Kevin