To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M4-2
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 00:20:37 -0700

At 08:11 PM 9/20/96 -0700, you wrote:
>mileage was different than mine. I was somewhat surprised by the vehemence
>of his remarks, though, as I hadn't previously heard anything bad about the
>M4-2 as a user's camera.

When Modern Photo did a review of the M4-2 they mentioned that it wasn't
perfect from the factory, but the tech. said all it needed was a few
adjustments and it was just as good as an older Leica. Or something like
that. They did note it wasn't quite up to the standards as the cameras of
the olden days, but then price reality has affected us all. My first
experinece with an M Leica was with an M4-2, and the 35 Summilux (old
version) and I was still impressed. My second exposure was an M5 and 35
Summicron. Since then, I've only seen things get better - now an M6 and 35
Summi. And I love them. Shot all my assignements with the M6 and 35 and R7
and 24 Elmarit. The difference between them and the Canon stuff was
dramatic. Our scanner person says she knows when I'm shooting Leica because
the scans come out much better! And this from a Nikon person who is in
reality a fine art shooter (nudes mostly), and only part time at the paper.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR

Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.

Replies: Reply from "Michael L. Gardner" <mikeg@neca.com> (Re: M4-2)