To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica CL Addendum
From: gregm@world.std.com (Greg Mironchuk)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 15:27:10 -0400

At 10:07 AM 9/30/96, dlevy@worldy.com wrote:

>Yes, it is a poll to find out how many on the group regularly use these
>cameras. I am not attempting to determine which would be better for me to
>acquire, since I am a regular CL user.
>Brian Levy, J.D.
>Toronto, Ont.
>dlevy@worldy.com

I use a CL regularly... I'm a newspaper/magazine photojournalist. I use it
with a 50mm f/2 Summicron, a 28mm f/2.8 Minolta (and finder), and a 90mm
f/2.8 Summiwhateveritis. It works just fine. Not the greatest
range/viewfinder, but it'll do. I never use the meter. Don't even know if
it works.

This is my second CL, BTW... I sold my first one, 13 years ago, after the
second shutter curtain that I needed to replace for a "sunburn"... I just
didn't want to spend more $$$ on it at the time.

It's also my favorite "weird lens" camera... via various adaptors, I
regularly use/have used a 17mm Pentax full-frame fisheye, the old-old
Minolta 21mm f/4 non-reflex lens, and a 17mm Tokina... mounted in Minolta.
When I had a visoflex, it was my favorite camera to use with it (close-up,
only... viso is TOO WEIRD for long lenses).

I *had* a two-lug M5... and traded it for a couple of M3 SS's. I didn't
care for the vertical hang (which doesn't seem to be a problem with the
CL... it's much smaller), and it "felt big". If I had had a three-lug, I
might have felt differently about it. The meter was passable, but not
really great.

Is the CL a "pro" camera??? As far as I'm concerned, a "pro" is a person
who generates an income from whatever it is he/she does. The CL has been a
net income producer for me, for a long time... and it seems to me that that
"working" photographers don't really care as much about "pro cameras" as
advertising copy writers seem to.

                                                Greg M.

                                                      Greg Mironchuk
                                               540 Beach St, Revere, MA 02151