To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: number on Summicron focusing ring
From: dwp@deltanet.com
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 22:26:37

In <Pine.SCO.3.91.960912141538.6399B-100000@mark.mwa.org>, on 09/12/96 at
02:17 PM,
   Thomas Knoles <tgk@mwa.org> said:

>My 50mm Summicron-M has the number "22" engraved sideways in small
>characters on the focusing ring, just at the end of the metric focusing
>scale.

>Can anyone out there tell me what it means?

>Tom Knoles
>tgk@mwa.org

Although the question has already been well answered I thought there was
another question posted, 'why'  but can't seem to find it if it existed.

Anyway, for the 'why', I consulted The Leica & Leicaflex Way, Andrew
Matheson. and find it said:

"This may be important in highly accurate scientific work and also in
exact photo-surveying."

An indication that Leitz viewed the Leica as more than 'just a camera'

Earlier lenses would have the focal length, to the nearest 1/10 mm hand
scribed on the inner barrel. This was used to ensure that the lens was
mated with a matching focusing helicoid to ensure proper focus coupling
with the rangefinder.

Oh yes, if your 90 mm lens is inscribed 95 on the barrel next to the focus
index mark, it means its really 89.5 mm.  I was so confused about that for
a while.

As an aside, I believe the computed focal length of a lens is not always
the nominal focal length.  Somewhere in the dusty recesses of my memory I
recall the first 50 mm Summicron was computed for a focal length of 51.9
mm.  A tip of the hat to anyone who knows the story on this.

Regards
Dennis

Experience is a tough teacher. It gives the test before the lesson.
-unknown

http://users.deltanet.com/~dwp