To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: lens flare
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 14:29:15 -0700

At 11:42 AM 9/13/96 +0100, you wrote:
>My experience is that lenses may suffer more flare at small apertures, not
large
>ones. If the principal cause of flare is internal reflections, and these are
>more likely to come from metal than glass surfaces (due to modern coating

You are probably thinking of ghost images. That's not flare. Flare is an
overall reduction of contrast and saturation. What metal edges can do is
diffraction - reduction of sharpness and ghost images showing the shape of
the aperture in spots of light. Flare in most lenses, so I'm told, is
reduced by stopping down, because a smaller area of glass is passing light.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR