To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: lens flare
From: Mark_Bishop@ipc.co.uk
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 12:39:53 +0100

My experience is that lenses may suffer more flare at small apertures, not large
ones. If the principal cause of flare is internal reflections, and these are
more likely to come from metal than glass surfaces (due to modern coating
techniques) then it follows that the conditions for flare are least at maximum
aperture (when there is little or no intrusion by the iris) and most at small
apertures. Certainly my 35 1.4 Summilux-M ASPH can give flare under certain
circumstances at f/8 down, whereas I've never seen the phenomenon at f/1.4.