To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 35 Summicron & flare
From: Daniel Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 22:36:21 -0400

At 06:35 PM 11/9/96 EDT, you wrote:
>I have to count myself amongst those that have found the 35mmF2 Summicron
>(M latest) to be VERY prone to flare.  I must say that I was no less than a
>tad disgusted by its performance in this regard as, for the price, I could
>get two of another brand which would flare a lot less.
>         My Summilux 35 is much worse, being virtually unusable in backlit
>conditions and its place amongst my kit is becoming more precarious by the
>day. (Anyone considering the purchase of a 35 Summilux must be in dire need
>of a picture of ANY quality in low light conditions) In all other respects
>my Summicron is a gem and I'm more than just a tad peeved to think that I
>would have to shell out the ludicrous asking price of an aspherical example
>to do away with something as basic as flare.
>        In virtually all other respects Leica glass is superb and worth
>every penny of the asking price but flare control would seem to be
>something they never quite got a handle on with some lenses.
>        Would anyone have any ideas why this would be so?
>J.Redfern

I have both the standard 35 summilux (current mount), and the 2 element
aspherical.  At wide apertures, the newer one is clearly better, but at
normal shooting openings, the old lens more than holds its own.  For a lens
that was introduced in 1960,  I think that it has aged quite nicely.  What
was Nikon producing that year that is still viable now?

Dan Cardish
<dcardish@spherenet.com>

<http://www.spherenet.com/dcardish/photo.htm>