To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Focusing slop on 50/1.4 Summilux-M
From: "joe b." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 03:26:30 +0100

In article <322917DC.3F34@fox.nstn.ca>, Roger Flanigan
<istr1848@fox.nstn.ca> writes
>Please define "slop"

Well I should have cross-examined the man on the phone, but I didn't- I
asssumed I knew what he meant! What I though he was talking about was a
bit of play in the focusing action, so that when you first turn it, the
focusing ring turns very slightly without actually changing the focusing
of the lens.

>Uneveness in the focussing action is usually an indication of trouble.
>It could be caused by excessive wear of the helical mount or by impact
>damage. Then again it may only be a case of the grease having dried out
>and thickened with age, but even this condition would require a
>relatively expensive repair job as it would mean disassembling the lens,
>cleaning out all the old grease, polishing the helical mount and
>re-greasing. My advice is to keep looking (unless it's a real bargain).
>There are plenty of other 50 Summiluxes out there in fine shape with no
>"slop" in the focus action.

Thanks. I think I know of another one without this problem...
--
joe b.
Replied:  2 Sep 96 21:38