To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 35 Summicron comparisons
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 07:47:26 +0200

Leica checks each lens visually before shipment. They project a large size
test image while the lens rotates on the projector. This visual check,
performed by an experienced tester,  gives a pretty good idea of the quality
of each individual lens.

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.

>I've recently purchased a new pair of binoculars (Leicas, as it turned
>out), and the thing that struck me was the obvious variations from one
>pair to the next of any particular brand and model. With binoculars the
>subtle and not so subtle quality control problems are obvious. There is
>no intermediate stage of image processing to add variables.
>
>When comparing lens performance I think it would be wise to remember that
>any particular example of one variety of Summicron might outperform any
>particular example of another that varies within the tolerances that
>Leica set at the time of manufacture. Leica sets narrow tolerances, and
>we pay for the lenses that they reject, but that doesn't mean that every
>lens is equal when scrutinized by an eye looking to make distinctions.
>
>In short, take all comparisons with a grain of salt. The methods used
>might be sound, but the items compared might be apples and oranges.
>
>-Charlie

>            Charles E. Dunlap
>            Earth Sciences Dept.
>            University of Calif.
>            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
>
>          cdunlap@earthsci.ucsc.edu
>408-459-5228 (office)    408-459-3074 (FAX)

INTERNET PROVIDER: GROUPE VTX
                   CH-1009 PULLY

MAIL TO: info@vtx.ch