To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Canon f/1.4 and Leitz 127
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 18:11:27 -0400

This is rather rushed and I apologize, but I'm in a dither at the nonce.

Serenar was the brand-name on early Canon lenses.  From the middle 1950's,
they were simply identified as Canon.  The 1.4/50 is an independent
derivation from the 1.5/50 Sonnar design -- probably the finest fast normal
lens ever produced -- refigured to reduce production costs.  Both Nikon and
Canon began with German models and worked on them to eliminate the need for
hand production and assembly which so marked the Prewar Zeiss and Leica shops.

The 127mm Wollensak lens was a LF lens mounted by Leitz NY in excess Hektor
lensmounts available to them during and immediately after the War:  they had
a slew of mounts but no glass, and Wollensak had the glass, so a deal was
cut.  These are fine lenses, now rather rare, and with an unfortunate
collector's cachet which drives the prices up a bit.  I have never seen, but
have heard of, Wollensak lenses in Leica TM without the Leica name.

Hope this helps -- enjoy that Canon!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!