To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Projector Bulb Life...
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 17:27:16 -0400

The information, founded oro unfounded, has been published in most of
the popular photography magazines a number of times over the last 3
decades. The reasoning is the same as everyone observes with light bulbs
in general. More than 90% of bulb failures occur when you turn on your
lights.... the sudden change in temperature and the expansion that
results causes the breaks.  The fan/bulb/cooling theory works the same
way. It has been reported numerous times that a very slow, gradual air
cooling is best for projector bulbs and that the more rapid cooling
produced by a fan causes the bulbs to fail faster.

I have no way of knowing if this is true, but it always seemed logical
to me. And, with a careful Lexus/Nexus check, I suppose someone could
find a dozen articles about it. I do recall in my 28-year association
with National Geographic that the instructions to picture editors were
to never leave a slide in the projector gate and to simply turn off the
unit and let it cool on its own.

Fred Ward
Replied: Forwarded 25 Aug 96 15:58